The transition from military service to the campus environment can be a difficult one. UChicago has created a pre-orientation program offering academic preparation designed to maximize individual potential. The program also connects our Veteran Scholars to VA services, offers an introduction to career programming coupled with professional development opportunities, and builds relationships between students.
- Providing an academic focus rooted in calculus and methods/ writing curriculum that offers the UChicago level of rigor without the impact of permanent grades.
- Connecting students with VA Support; professionals in healthcare enrollment, claims processes, and benefits ahead of classes beginning.
- Building relationships among scholars (through social opportunities and various workshops)
What I really like about UChicago’s academic environment is that inquiry doesn’t stop at 'I’ve given you this problem, solve it my way.' It actually opens the field up to 'Here’s a number of ways you can tackle it, I want to see what your creativity and your intellectual rigor produces.-Alex KilbourneArmy Veteran, UChicago Veteran Scholar, Class of 2023
Dedicated Academic Advisor
The path to graduation can be overwhelming at times. Decisions regarding class selection, declaring majors/minors – and associating career and graduate school paths with those decisions are common. UChicago includes academic advising for our Veteran Scholars designed to draw from individual backgrounds and interests, while offering an intersection of services that provides a one-stop-shop to support their success.
- Support/identify your academic goals
- Faculty outreach
- Dedicated no cost tutoring
UChicago fosters a culture of inclusion and engagement, no matter your background. Since before I even arrived on campus I felt welcomed, supported, and empowered as a student.-Kaedy PuckettNavy Veteran, UChicago Veteran Scholar, Class of 2023
Programs and Support
Veteran Scholars Program
Being a Veteran Scholar at UChicago means access to a dedicated one-stop-shop of services and programming that enables the student veteran throughout their College experience.
- Social Programming to strengthen relationships among student veterans as well as with the campus community
- Career Programming providing customized events, workshops, and engagements for student veterans and employers
- Academic Advising tailored to the individual student veteran's academic goals and desired career outcome while providing access to tutoring and support
- Professional Development opportunities including a speaker series and opportunities for engagement
- Supporting Financial Needs to include support with tuition and fees, cost of living, healthcare and identifying gaps with VA education benefits to provide seamless support
"The Veteran Scholars program brings together veterans from different backgrounds, branches, and job occupations and instantly provides us a network of people who believe veterans can succeed at elite institutions such as the University of Chicago."—Jason Guba, Marine Corps Veteran, UChicago Veteran Scholar, Class of 2023
Army ROTC is a registered student organization offered on campus at the University of Chicago. Students participate in physical training, classes, and leadership labs on campus. The training a student receives in Army ROTC provides leadership development, military skills and career training. In addition to joining a growing community, there are opportunities for scholarships which include tuition and a stipend. Upon completion of the program, an Army ROTC graduate is commissioned as an officer in the Army.
More information is available at UChicago Army ROTC
"I love UChicago ROTC because when I can start my day surrounded by a group of people who care about me and build me both physically and mentally, my college experience is inevitably phenomenal."—Cadet Jonathan Merrill '23
Financial Aid and Support
UChicago is committed to supporting our Veteran Scholars. The College participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. In addition to VA benefits, UChicago’s generous need-based financial aid program may supplement your benefits toward overall cost of attendance.
We are also happy to waive your application fee.
"The University of Chicago Veteran Scholars program is one of the top Ivy/ Ivy plus programs for veterans. From financial aid and on-campus resources to personalized academic and career advising for veterans, UChicago has proven that it not only wants high-performing veterans on campus, but that it is well-prepared to fully support them. I am beyond grateful to be a student and veteran at UChicago."—Kaedy Puckett, Navy Veteran, UChicago Veteran Scholar, Class of 2023