Thank you for the time and effort you put forth in your application to UChicago! This year, once again, we’ve found that UChicago continues to attract incredible students, and we genuinely enjoyed reading the many applications we received.
You can now view your admissions decision through your UChicago Account.
What Decisions Mean
Admit: Congratulations! If you were admitted through the Early Decision I round, you have until January 18, 2018 to confirm your enrollment. If you were admitted through the Early Action round, you have until May 1, 2018 to reply to the University of Chicago. Just a friendly reminder: you will be placed into our housing assignment queue based on the date you pay your enrollment deposit.
Defer: We are not able to offer you a place in the Class of 2022 at this time, but we will reconsider your application and give you a final decision during the Regular Decision round. Please complete our defer response form available in your UChicago Account, preferably before January 5, 2018.
Deferred Early Action applicants may elect to move into our binding Early Decision II application pool by completing the defer response form and submitting the Early Decision II Agreement by uploading it to their UChicago Account. This option is not available for deferred Early Decision I applicants.
If you’ve been deferred and UChicago remains your top choice, here is some advice on what to do next:
- Complete the defer response form on your UChicago Account, preferably before January 5, 2018.
- Have your school send us a midyear transcript. It’s helpful for us to be able to see your senior year grades when we reconsider your application; your midyear transcript will be the best way for us to do so. If you have new test scores, you’re welcome to send them as well.
- Send an email to your regional counselor. If UChicago remains your first choice, don’t hesitate to let us know! We don’t need a novel, but a thoughtful note of one to two paragraphs sent by email can help us understand and consider your continued interest.
- Continue your college search. UChicago is just one school among many incredible higher education options. We know you carefully arrived at your decision to consider UChicago, and we hope you will apply the same level of thought to your ongoing college search. At the end of this process, you’re going to end up with a great place to call home. We encourage you to keep your college search open and to work with your school counselor to identify other schools that you’d be happy to attend should UChicago not become an option.
- Optional: You can continue to upload supplemental materials directly to your UChicago Account through the Portfolio and Upload Materials sections. This is not necessary, but if you do have additional materials you’d like to share, please feel free to upload them.
- Optional: After consulting with your family and school counselor to determine if this is a good fit for you, deferred Early Action applicants may also elect to move into our binding Early Decision II application pool by completing the defer response form and submitting the Early Decision II Agreement by uploading it to their UChicago Account. We understand that the Early Decision II commitment may not be the right choice for every applicant, and we will continue to give our full consideration to deferred students who remain in our Regular Decision applicant pool.
- Book an overnight flight to Chicago. While we always enjoy welcoming students to campus, we do not make decisions based on whether or not a student has visited. Besides, there’s nothing we can tell you in person that we couldn’t tell you over phone or email.
- Start writing all-new essays. We have determined that the application you sent us originally is a strong one—we just need a little more time and context to make a final decision. We re-evaluate applicants’ original application materials after they are deferred, considering the small new additions we suggest above. We do not require or recommend that students spend time updating essays.
- Panic. An admissions decision is not an evaluation of you as a person. Decisions are made over a long period of time by a number of people and take into account the entire applicant pool. Please keep in mind that we cannot give reasons for decisions over the phone or via email, as it really is impossible to condense the conversations behind our decisions in a way that would be adequate or helpful to the applicant.
Deny: After much consideration, we are unable to offer you a place in the Class of 2022. There is no process for appealing admissions decisions. We wish you the best as you pursue your educational goals.
This year’s applicants have come from around the globe and are united by a compelling interest in learning and the power of ideas. No matter your admissions decision, you have a bright future ahead of you.