Skip to main content

Transfer Applicants

Instagram photo of the Main Quad
Harper Memorial Library. Follow us on Instagram.

At UChicago, you are welcome.

Transfer students play a meaningful role in life in the College. Your experiences at other institutions contribute to the diversity of our student body and provide valuable perspective to all kinds of interactions on campus, from classroom conversations to coffee chats on the quad. We are committed to assembling a community of talented scholars from a wide range of backgrounds, and this includes transfer students.

If you have already completed at least one term as a full-time student in a degree-seeking program at another college or university, you should apply as a transfer student. High school students who have taken college-level courses should apply as first-year applicants.


The University of Chicago offers transfer applicants a choice of two application plans. Your application will go through the same careful review process no matter which of these plans you choose, so you should pick the one that best suits you. In picking the UChicago application plan that's right for you, you'll want to consider when you will be ready to apply and whether or not you are ready to make a binding commitment to UChicago.

Transfer Early Decision

Application Deadline February 10*
Admissions Decision Release Date Mid-March
Reply Date Mid-April

*11:59 p.m. applicant's local time

“Our Transfer Early Decision (TED) application is best for students who have identified UChicago as their absolute first choice for transferring and know they would choose to attend UChicago immediately if admitted. This admissions plan is binding, meaning that if admitted, you commit to attending UChicago, withdrawing outstanding transfer applications from any other school, and agreeing not to apply to transfer to any additional colleges. If you apply Early Decision, you will need to download, complete, and submit a Transfer Early Decision Agreement by uploading it in your UChicago Account.

If you are enthusiastic about applying to UChicago but would like to compare admissions offers, transfer credit estimates, or financial aid packages from multiple colleges before making a final decision, you should consider applying through the Rolling Notification plan.

Transfer Early Decision applicants will receive an admissions decision of admit, deny, or waitlist.

Transfer Rolling Decision

Priority Application Deadline March 1*
Admissions Decision Release Date Rolling decisions starting early April
Reply Date June 5

*11:59 p.m. applicant's local time

In our Transfer Rolling Decision (TR) application plan, students are strongly encouraged to submit their application by the March 1 priority deadline. We will continue to review applications until June 1 and we will release decisions on a rolling basis starting in early April. Applying as a Rolling Decision applicant does not constitute a binding commitment to attend if admitted, and you will have until June 5 to reply to your offer if admitted. 

Transfer Rolling Decision applicants will receive an admissions decision of admit, deny, or waitlist.

Required Application Materials

Applicants should submit the Coalition Application and must also complete the University of Chicago Supplement, plus an additional transfer application question as described below. Applicants will also be prompted to create a UChicago Account, where they can submit information and view their admissions decision.


For transfer students, UChicago requires the Coalition Application. Through the online application platform, you submit basic information about your background, academic profile, and extracurricular activities, as well as an essay, and that information can be easily shared with multiple colleges you decide to apply to.

Questions about technical matters related to using the application platform should be directed to the folks at the Coalition Application. Questions about our own requirements should be directed to us.

Extracurricular Activities

In your list of extracurricular activities, you should include whatever it is that you spend your time doing outside of class. This could be an official club, team, or competition; a hobby you pursue on your own; a part-time job; a family responsibility; or anything else you do with your time outside of class. Colleges ask for this information not because they have any specific expectation or preference for how you spend your time, but to see what's meaningful, worthwhile, or interesting to you. We do not require certificates proving participation in activities. If the space provided on the Coalition Application to list all extracurricular and work experiences is not sufficient, you may share further details through the "Additional Information" upload option.

Application Essay

The Coalition Essay is your chance to present yourself and your ideas in your own words. Through the Coalition Application, your essay will be sent to the schools you are applying to, and should not be specific to any one school. Your essay should be appropriate for a wide array of audiences and should put your best foot forward. The Coalition Essay is not required for UChicago transfer applicants, but you are still welcome to submit it if you would like.

UChicago Supplement

The University of Chicago Supplement requires one extended essay of your choice from our list of several prompts and one short-answer essay on why you would like to attend the University of Chicago. In addition, transfer applicants must submit a short essay responding to the following prompt:

  • Please tell us why you are planning to leave (or have already left) your current college or university.

The Supplement essays should be submitted through the Coalition Application.

Your UChicago Account

Students may create a UChicago Account before or after beginning the Coalition Application. To create a UChicago Account before you begin working on the Coalition Application, please visit If you begin by working on the Coalition Application, you will receive an email with instructions on how to set up your UChicago Account. When you sign in to your UChicago Account, you will be able to complete and update your profile, apply for financial aid, upload some supplementary materials, and eventually view your admissions decision.

The University of Chicago does not charge an application fee for students applying for need-based financial aid. For students not applying for need-based financial aid, our application fee is $75 and can be submitted through the Coalition Application.

Credit Card

Please follow the instructions on the Coalition Application for submitting the application fee online.

Check or Money Order

Please include a note with the check or money order with the applicant's full name and address, and mail it to the College Admissions Office by the application deadline. Checks should be made payable to the University of Chicago.

The Office of College Admissions
Attn. Matt Cowell
1101 E. 58th St.
Rosenwald 005
Chicago, IL 60637

An official transcript detailing your coursework and grades over your entire high school career should be sent from your high school. If you graduated, the transcript should list your graduation date. In reading your application, your transcript will serve as a roadmap of your academic path in high school. We will be looking at your academic record across all four years of high school, primarily to see that you have challenged yourself productively in your course selection and done well in those courses.

Your transcript is considered in the context of your high school. Course offerings and opportunities can look very different from one high school to the next, and we want to see how you took advantage of what was available to you at your high school. You would never be at a disadvantage in the admissions process for not having pursued an opportunity that was not available to you. A School Profile is usually included with your transcript that tells us about the environment at your school, course offerings, curriculum, and educational outcomes. We do not require complete syllabi.

If you have taken courses at a school other than your final high school, such as a previous high school or a local college, please be sure to have those grades sent as well. They may be reported either on your final high school transcript or in a separate transcript from the original institution.

Transcripts written in a language other than English should be accompanied by a certified translation and a grading scale.

We require two recommendations from teachers who have taught you in an academic subject. Academic subjects, as defined for the purposes of letters of recommendation, include mathematics, social studies, history, science, English or literature, foreign language, and other courses in which you are doing substantial amounts of reading, writing, or class discussion.

If you feel that you have not had satisfactory contact with professors at your college or university, you may ask a teaching assistant or lab instructor who may have had more experience working with you to provide a recommendation. A recommendation from a recent high school teacher is also acceptable for those who are just in their first year of college, though we recommend at least one of your recommendations come from someone who has worked with you in an academic context in college. If you have questions about whether a particular course is a good choice, feel free to contact your regional Admissions Counselor.

Ask for recommendations from teachers who know you well and can speak specifically and positively about your contributions in the classroom, academic interest, and interactions with classmates. This does not necessarily need to be the teacher who gave you the best grades, but instead someone who best knows your academic personality and thinks highly of you. Plan to have a brief conversation with your recommender to give them context on your educational plans, as this can be helpful in writing a more detailed letter.

 As teachers are often writing letters of recommendation on their own time and are therefore not getting paid to do it, we also strongly encourage students to write their recommenders a thank you note.

Submitting Letters of Recommendation

All teachers have the option of submitting letters of recommendation and school forms online via the Coalition Application. They should follow the instructions on the application for submitting these forms. Teachers may print out and submit these forms on paper even if you submit your application online. Letters of recommendation must come directly from the recommender and should not be sent by the applicant. Letters of recommendation can be added to your application after the application deadline, so you do not need to ask your recommender to submit their letter before or at the same time as you have submitted your application.

If your recommenders are most comfortable writing in a language other than English, they may do so. Have them submit the original letter accompanied by a translation.

Supplemental Recommendations

If you feel that we won't be able get a full picture of who you are without a third letter of recommendation from another teacher, an employer, role model, youth leader, or friend, you may submit one additional letter. Submitting a supplemental letter of recommendation is not an expectation, and please be considerate of the significant time commitment writing a good letter of recommendation takes before asking a potential recommender. 

Your transcript shows your academic record in the context of your school, but, since one school can be very different from another, it is useful to see evidence of academic achievement that exists outside of the context of your school. This is why some colleges ask applicants to submit an SAT or ACT score. For many applicants, an SAT or ACT score can reflect their academic preparedness in this broader context.

Some applicants may feel that an SAT or ACT score does not fully reflect their academic preparedness or potential, or may feel that it is out of date. If this is the case for you, you may select UChicago's test-optional method of application and not supply SAT or ACT scores with your application. We welcome any student regardless of testing plan to submit additional material (detailed in the Supplements section) that they feel best highlights their skills, talents, and potential contributions to UChicago.

The SAT, ACT, and other standard measures can continue to be an important part of the University of Chicago’s holistic admission process for students electing to send scores and are a required part of the application process at many other highly selective schools. These tests can provide valuable information about a student which we and other colleges will consider alongside the other elements in a student’s application. We encourage students to take standardized tests like the SAT and ACT, and to share your scores with us if you think that they are reflective of your ability and potential. Given that many of our peers do require testing, we anticipate that the vast majority of students will continue to still submit their test scores to UChicago.

For students who elect to submit an ACT or SAT score, we have no preference between the two tests or between the "old" SAT and the "new" SAT. We will continue to accept scores from the old version of the SAT for the five years scores remain valid (with an exception for veteran applicants). The writing portion of the ACT or the SAT is not required, nor are any SAT Subject Tests. We do not have minimum test score requirements.

We will superscore both the SAT and the ACT, meaning that if you have taken either test more than once, you should submit all your scores, and we will add your highest subsection scores together to give you the highest possible combined score. We will superscore within both the old SAT and the new SAT, but will not be able to superscore between the two versions of the test. We encourage students to take the test more than once, but do not recommend excessive retaking of standardized tests, as we generally do not see significant improvement after the second time taking a test..

Reporting Scores

Transfer applicants who choose to submit SAT or ACT scores may share either official or self-reported scores. Self-reporting students will not be required to submit official score reports unless they are admitted and choose to enroll. You are able to self-report test scores through the Coalition Application. You will not need to superscore your own results or recalculate your scores in any way; send your scores exactly as you receive them. Official scores are sent to the University of Chicago directly from the testing agency. UChicago’s SAT code is 1832; the ACT code is 1152.

Testing Deadlines

While we would, of course, like to receive your scores before the appropriate deadline, we will accept the February ACT for Transfer Early Decision and Transfer Rolling Decision and the March SAT for Transfer Rolling Decision.

College Reports

The Coalition Application Transfer Report should be completed by a dean, registrar, or academic adviser who has access to your disciplinary and academic records at your current or most recent college or university and sent directly to the Office of College Admissions. The Coalition Application Curriculum Report should only be completed if you are currently taking classes at the time of applying. If applicable, you should consult your instructors to complete the Curriculum Report and may submit it yourself through the Coalition Application. If a college or university cannot provide an official report, don’t panic!  We will still be able to review your application in its entirety without any penalty.

College Transcripts 

Request that official college or university transcripts from every post-secondary school you have attended be sent directly to the Office of College Admissions. If you received pass/fail marks for college or university courses instead of grades, please request that your instructors submit written evaluations of your work. If you are unable to obtain an official copy of your transcript(s) at the time of applying, please self-report any copies in your UChicago Account after submitting your application. Students will not be required to submit official transcripts unless they are admitted and choose to enroll.

Transcripts written in a language other than English must be accompanied by a certified translation and a grading scale.

Optional Components

Although our admissions process is need-sensitive for transfer students, we are committed to meeting 100% of your demonstrated need with a loan-free financial aid award if you are admitted and applied for funding. Transfer students are eligible for financial aid only if they apply for funding during the admissions process, and will not be eligible for financial aid after receiving their admissions decision or during their four years in the College. If you think you will need financial aid at any point during your four years at UChicago, you should apply for financial aid when you apply for admission.

The number of quarters for which you receive financial aid will depend on your transfer credit evaluation, which you will receive after you are offered admission. Learn more about applying for financial aid.

If you are neither a citizen of the United States nor a permanent resident, then we consider you to be an international transfer applicant, even if you are currently studying at a U.S. college or university. International transfer applicants are not eligible for financial aid.

If you would like to add your voice to your application, you have the option to submit a two-minute video introduction in lieu of the traditional college interview, which is not part of our application process. Your recording does not need to be extensively rehearsed or polished, and the video does not need to be edited.

You may record your video introduction using the platform of your choice, and then upload either a file of or link to the introduction into your UChicago Account. If there is any important information relevant to your candidacy you were unable to address elsewhere in the application, please share that information here.

Students may submit supplemental material representing a significant talent, passion, or achievement by uploading it through their UChicago Account. These materials include, but are not limited to, creative writing projects, highlights from music/dance/visual art/theater performance, school capstone projects such as AP Capstone or the equivalent, research projects, business plans, or other work of note.

Students may also elect to submit results of AP exams, SAT Subject Tests, IB courses, or A-Level courses on an optional and self-reported basis.