The University of Chicago accepts the Universal Application and the Common Application. We also require the University of Chicago Supplement, which can be found and submitted online with both the Universal and Common Applications.
- First-year Applicant Instructions
- First-year International Applicant Instructions
- Transfer Applicant Instructions
- International Transfer Applicant Instructions
The Universal Application
The Universal Application is a shared application for a variety of colleges and universities, including the University of Chicago. The Universal Application must be completed online at the Universal Application website. It contains basic information about your background, academic profile, and extracurricular activities. The Universal Application will become available online on July 1st.
The Common Application
The Common Application is another option for applying to a variety of colleges, including the University of Chicago. The Common Application must be completed online on the Common Application website. The Common Application for admission will become available in August.
The UChicago Supplement
Your UChicago Account (Common Application)
After you submit the Universal Application or Common Application, we will send you an email with instructions on how to create a UChicago Account (be patient—you will not need to access your account until mid-October at the earliest). When you sign in to your UChicago Account, you will be able to update your basic information (including address and high school), to update your application with new information (such as awards or changes in your academic program), and to access UChicago’s Financial Aid Application.
Questions about technical matters related to using the Common Application should be directed to the folks at the Common Application or Universal Application. Questions about our own requirements and recommendations should be directed to us.
In order to expedite the assembly of your application and promote environmental sustainability, the Office of College Admissions prefers electronic submission of all documents through the Universal Application or Common Application. Any additional materials you would like to be added to your application file should be sent to us through the methods outlined below:
- Your UChicago Account: This is the fastest and most efficient method to upload documents to your application.
- Fax to 773.702.0661: This is the preferred fax line for submission of any additional documents that you would like added to your application. Our other fax line–773.702.4199–should only be utilized for purposes other than the application process.
Mail documents to:
The Office of College Admissions
1101 E. 58th St.
Chicago, IL 60637
- We discourage sending documents via email and believe that one of the three methods listed above should be sufficient to ensure that your documents arrive to our office safely and securely.
- If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at any time.
Submitting transcripts, test scores, secondary school reports, and recommendations are only official if they come directly from the institution. Any of these materials that come directly from the student are unofficial, and won’t count toward our application requirements.