Thank you for the time and effort you put forth in your UChicago application. Once again, we’ve found that UChicago continues to attract incredible students with a passion for exploring ideas and a love of learning.
Admissions decisions for Regular Decision applicants will be available in students' UChicago Accounts in the late afternoon of Friday, March 16.
What Decisions Mean
Admit: Congratulations! You have until May 1, 2018 to reply to the University of Chicago. Just a friendly reminder: you will be placed into the housing assignment queue based on the date you pay your enrollment deposit.
Waitlist: We are not offering you a place in the Class of 2022 at this time, but we will let you know by early summer if we are able to offer you a spot from the waitlist. UChicago’s waitlist is not ranked. If UChicago remains your top choice, here’s some advice on what to do next.
- Accept your spot on the waitlist by logging into your UChicago Account. If you’re still interested in attending UChicago, this is the way to let us know.
- Accept a place at another school by May 1 to make sure you have a college home for next year. If we are able to offer you a spot in the class and you choose to accept it, please let the other school know as soon as possible that you will not be attending.
- Write a brief note to your regional admissions counselor explaining why UChicago remains your top choice.
- Book an overnight flight to Chicago. While we always enjoy welcoming students to campus, we do not make decisions based on whether or not a student has visited. Besides, there’s nothing we can tell you in person that we couldn’t tell you over the phone or email.
- Submit all-new application materials. The application you sent us originally is complete, and we have determined that it is a strong one. We have all the information we need from you and, as time goes on, we’ll know more about whether there is space left in the class to take students from the waitlist.
- Panic. An admissions decision is not an evaluation of you as a person. Decisions are made over a long period of time by several people, involve discussion by an admissions committee, and take into account the entire applicant pool. Therefore, please keep in mind that we cannot give reasons for decisions over the phone or via email, as it really is impossible to condense the conversations behind our decisions in a way that would be adequate or helpful to the applicant.
Deny: After much consideration, we are unable to offer you a place in the Class of 2022.There is no process for appealing admissions decisions. We wish you the best as you pursue your educational goals.
This year’s applicants have come from around the globe, united by a compelling interest in learning and the power of ideas. No matter your admission decision, you have a bright future ahead of you.